Monday, November 08, 2010

UPDATE: Dog-gate Scandal!

Oh my gosh. I think I have to start believing in The Secret now or something. I feel like Kevin Costner in the movie Field of Dreams. Seriously. I do.

So a crazy turn of events has occurred. My landlord called my fiance a few days ago to let him know he was coming to fix an electrical outlet. After a pause, I heard Adam's voice raise incredulously as he said, "Really? Wow. That is great news. We are really happy to hear that!" My ears perked and I had a flash of hope that perhaps he was saying something about a cat. But that couldn't be, I rationalized, he already said no and made us sign a lease that said "no pets." I must have been hearing things.


Well guess what? I wasn't! Adam got off the phone and turned to me in disbelief. "He said he has been thinking about the cat situation and even though he already said no, he decided since we have been such good tenants that he would be okay with us having one cat."

I almost screamed. Or maybe I whimpered with glee. Or yelped. Some sort of sound came out as amazement and joy washed over me. We finally get to have a kitten! Something fluffy and fun to keep me company on those lonely winter nights when my usual house buddy (Adam) is in school! And when we are sad or frustrated at work, we can come home to a cuddle with an animal and it will make everything okay again! (Or at least better for the moment. It's true! Science says so!)

This is quite the unexpected change of heart from our otherwise pretty cool landlord--thus proving his true coolness. And I am still in shock. I honestly never thought our landlord might actually rescind his original answer, but I sure had hoped for a miracle. I love the universe sometimes!

Anyway I immediately began to obsess and scour the internet for profiles of rescued kittens and craigslist ads for kittens and websites for ridiculously priced Ragdoll kitten breeders (Ragdoll being my ultimate dream cat but waaaay too expensive to actually spend money on...I think. Ask me in a week and I might crack and decide it is worth it. Ugh! I am terrible, I know). I was almost ready to dive right in and get one this past weekend. But then I pulled my eyes away from the lighted screen of the laptop and came to my senses. This is a big decision that I can take my time with if need be. I don't have to run out and get the first kitten I see that happens to play fetch. Despite that being pretty dang sweet.

So we are now on the official hunt for a kitty. And I can't wait till we find the one for us. As soon as we find one I will definitely show him or her off on this site and share the details of our pet finding adventure. Who knows, maybe I will become a crazy old cat lady (or a perfectly sane but really annoying "girl who always talks about her cat and shows pictures of it doing stupid things"). That could spin this site into a whole new direction!

Don't worry, I promise I won't let it get that bad...

No comments: