Monday, February 26, 2007

Jim Carrey said something that got me thinking...

I know. Jim Carrey. Who would have thought?

But needless to say, what he said in an interview for his new and awesomely terrible-looking movie was something to the effect of:

I would never want to go back to my twenties. It was like the decade of fear for me. It seemed I did everything out of fear.

Wow. Even Jim Carrey went through this? Cool. I mean, not cool that it has to happen at all, but nice to know that half the brilliant, almost scary funny stuff he was desperately pulling out of his ass all through the "In Living Color" years was probably motivated by fear. Even the most seemingly talented, put together successful people are running blindly for their lives to escape that horrible "what if" feeling the twenties presents you with.

I guess it stuck with me because it gave me some hope that if I just push through this, maybe I won't be as scared someday. Maybe I will just come into my own and reach bliss and confidence later in life.

Who said that your prime has to be your twenties? I guess the media makes us think so, maybe the way we revere young people who are successful so early. The push to be amazing at 21 is a strong one these days. ( you are also cuter than you will ever be at that age, so that doesn't help much.)

Maybe some of us are on the path that our twenties are made of fear, and we will blossom later.
Maybe we just needed a little time.

When I make big decisions, I often take my time with them. I took a year to move to Chicago. I talked about selling my car for months before I did it. Maybe this simple observation about my behavior on a daily basis is reflective of my big picture as well. I will get there, just a bit on the slower side, but I will get there regardless.

Thanks, Jim Carrey. You made me feel a little less crazy. I never thought you of all people would help me through my twenties. But look at that. You have. I think. I don't know, I will let you know in a few months once I am sure.

No comments: