Thursday, October 05, 2006

People who have big, boistrious laughs tend to reach higher positions in companies. That is what I have realized today, as another boring office day goes by. Whenever the head of the department laughs, bodies jump in their seats all across the floor. Hers is a laugh that is both jarring and infectious. Quieter women in their cubicles full of Disney characters say things like "Something really funny must be going on over there," and you can hear the envy and curiosity in their meek little voices. Everyone wishes they could be so free, so comfortable and genuinely amused that they could just burst forth such a loud cackle. Even I am momentarily distracted from my very important labeling job.

I think these people who laugh loud are in positions of power because they make everyone around them feel like the funniest person alive. Also, when you are "in on the joke," you get to know the reason for the big laugh and this is pleasing to most people who want to feel important or part of a group. These big laughers make everyone feel "cool."

I know a girl who always seems to get promoted quickly, even when SHE herself isn't quite sure she is qualified to be in whatever position it is. She is a widely known loud laugher, and I think somehow this, along with her obvious charm, has catapulted her to great corporate heights without her really even trying that hard. Thus proving my awesome theory of moving up in Corporate America.

So from now on I am going to try really hard to laugh loud and proud at anything remotely funny, especially from higher ups. Except the ladies with Disney characters in their cubicles. I don't want them to get the wrong impression that they are "cool" or something.

No comments: