Sunday, March 25, 2007

SUN!!!!!!!

I am sunburned right now. Seriously. My arms have the first farmer tan of the year and its itchy but awesome. I can't believe how nice it was today. The boy and I made the most of it, venturing out on bikes down the lakeshore and into the heart of the city. That ride is so magical, and so mood enhancing. We are very lucky to have it so close by. The wind in your face, the lake to your left, the city skyscrapers to your right, and so many different types of people walking along side you, it truly makes you feel alive and connected to everything around you.

Our expedition was a result of my nephew sending me a filmsy little paper doll called "Flat Stanley." Apparently the new thing going down in the first grade is a project where the child sends Flat Stanley to someone he or she knows in another state or country (what the kids who don't have relatives outside of their state do, I shutter to think) and asks the loved one to take pictures of little Stanley around the area, thus giving a snapshot into the life or history of said area. It is quite precious, really. My nephew decorated Stanley to his pleasing, and since he is a child born and raised in Orange County, CA, that meant plastering Stanley with every name brand for skateboards and surf gear possible. I think I am the only aunt involved in this project whose Stanley boasts "Volcom" across his chest and wears a beanie while riding a snowboard. And boy am I proud!
Seriously though, Stanley got us out today, being tourists and getting a major dose of today's beauty. So despite the fact that he and I may not share the same taste in clothing, I think he is swell, and I would like to publicly thank him for a lovely outing. Shout out to my man Stan.

I remembered again why I love this city, like a long lost friend that went away to camp for the winter, and has returned again to pick up right where we left off. I feel giddy with love for her again, and look forward to watching many more sunsets with her skyline as a backdrop.

I also look forward to this farmer tan evening out. But that can wait for now.

No comments: