Saturday, March 03, 2007

I went to a workshop by accident today, and got a free book about fixing my life as a result! What fun!
I set out to attend open house at the massage school that is currently at the top of my list of possible schools. It is small, affordable, intimate, mature, and a warm environment at that! What more could I want?

Well, I wanted one last look at the place before I applied. I am anal about these things. At this stage in my life (yes I feel old, shut up) I want to be sure of what I am doing when it requires this much money and commmitment. So I went this morning and they happened to be hosting a guest speaker, a world-renouned chiropractor/holistic health guy who wrote a book and was quite a force, I must say. He exuded such love and gratitude. Which were the exact topics he was there to discuss, go figure.

So I stayed an extra hour past the open house to catch a few words from this guru of sorts. I had to leave half way through, but I saw a little of where he was headed in his speech, at least, and besides, I got the book for free so I can read more about it if I so choose. I am happy with the way that all worked out. A perfectly worthwhile morning. Especially after the night I had last night. Let's just say I had a tough time pulling myself out of fear and loathing land. Not the Hunter S. Thompson kind, but the kind where I hate myself and fear my life and think I am sick and dying and all that fun psycho emotional crap that sometimes overcomes me.

But what the guy was saying was that your body shows you symtoms and illnesses when you are not balanced, or when you are not embracing your emotions and giving love and gratitude to everyone around you. It gets more complicated, with talk of a Chinese Doctor who wanted to find out if water has consciousness, and the different patterns the water makes when frozen while playing various music. Also how the water reacts to certain words, like "peace" or "you fool." (Guess which pattern in the water is more appealing and intricate? ) And his point seemed to be that since human bodies are made up of 80% water, we are affected by loving sounds (like "thank you") verses negative talk (a la "I want to kill you,") much like the water was. Our bodies break down, get sicker, more achy, whereas spreading love and gratitude will strengthen us all, internally and externally.

Seems logical enough, in a way. Wild, but not without a basis in reality. I wanted to go with him there entirely, but the skeptic in me only allowed me to play with the ideas, batting them around with amusement like cat playing with a ball of string. I could only marvel at the concept, but not entirely buy it for a dollar. Too bad I had to leave early. Maybe he would have convinced me otherwise.

But once he started telling us we needed to befriend cancer, I sort of felt the need to jump off the bandwagon either way. Even if I hadn't had previous plans to leave, I probably would have had to leave once he mentioned that idea. It was a little too much to handle in the course of one 2 hour lecture.

So I walked away with a new knowledge I never had before. I may not believe in all of its nuances, but it is new and fun to think about. And really, in the state I was in before the day's adventure, any little new insight helps ease my mind and raise my spirit.

Oh, did I mention he had a doll that sang, but only when we were all connected by holding hands in a big circle? As crazy as that sounds, if you knew the details of the senario, it wouldn't be as screwed up as it appears out of context. Hmmm... yeah...maybe it is good that my mind is half open, half skeptic.

No comments: