Wednesday, February 24, 2010

It's another ridiculously cold night in Chicago and I have managed to do very little as a result. I made an attempt to organize my tax info (cue horror music) and poked around online until a few minutes turned into hours. Oh and I made pizza and ate about a trillion Girl Scout cookies. And now I am watching some women's skiing at the Olympics on TV. Well I guess when you actually put it on paper, I have done a lot! Pat on the back for me.

One thing in which I became quite engrossed was a blog I have been obsessed with for quite some time. I believe I stumbled upon it the first time back in 2006 when I began temping as a receptionist at a boring consulting firm in the Loop. In fact I think that is also when I began this blog. I am sure I must have been inspired by her. And I still am today. I wish I knew how to do those cool "links" when you make it so people click on the word and it takes them to a site or whatever but I am not that tech savy yet. So I will just tell you to google "city wendy" sometime and be prepared to enjoy reading about a complete stranger. It changed the way I think about writing.

Wendy writes a few times a week there and her thoughts are always fun to read and very easy to relate to. She is quirky and awkward and sassy and blunt. She admits her faults and examines herself and her choices in life. And I eat that shit up with a spoon.

I find myself intrigued and inspired to write my own perspectives. They do not always come out as interesting as I think they will (case in point), but I keep trying nonetheless. That is more than I used to do. For me, even these small blurbs are a means to get my voice out there creatively and challenge myself to do something scary that I happen to love. Thanks to Wendy, a stranger who I feel like I have known for years, I keep at it.

Blogging is strange and I struggle to decide what to write about or how to say everything. And once I get going, there is no guarentee that I will end up where I thought I would. I tend to meander though the concepts, my tangents becoming like snakes veering off into the bushes and disappearing. I embrace it all. I accept that is me and my brain and I take solace in the knowledge that eventually, if I keep at it, my writing will become more clear and my thoughts will take shape in a more cohesive and reader-friendly way.

I can't wait till that time comes.

Till then, we will have to make do with my ramblings.

No comments: