Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Night fooding

I like the quiet of the grocery store at night. The soft hum of the florescent lights can be heard over the quiet muzak wafting over the isles. Also heard is the groan of the wheels on my rusty cart each time I start back up again after a brief stop to deliberate over which orange juice to go with.

People are scarce and it is peaceful. I move as if walking through marmalade--slow motion inching through each isle, careful not to miss any of the usuals. And sometimes, picking up a non-usual item just to spice up the week. Perhaps it is a new type of cracker or a pasta we have not tried before. Black olives or artichokes, even. It keeps it interesting. 

I try to always grab wine since it never stays long at my house. I like my chedder sharp. My lean cuisine choice would be the lazagna. Mostly because I would never have the patience to make lazagna myself and everyone needs a little taste of that every now and then. I will always manage to sneak in a piece of chocolate to get me through a particularly tough work week. This week, it was Cadbury Eggs. Dang you, Easter! (Fist shaking)

This late in the night the lines are short and easy. I cannot load the food onto the conveyor belt fast enough to keep up with the constant blip of the scanner. Someone packs my new belongings into my cart and I feel quite accomplished. 

I scoot the cart out into the night to find it snowing. The parking lot is so empty and silent that I can almost hear the tiny flakes hitting the ground with a microscopic thud. Snow collects on my bags and my eyelashes as I pack the card and climb in with my loot.

Late night grocery shopping is truly the only way to do it. I highly recommend it to you all.


No comments: