Friday, February 12, 2010

Sick of it

So right after I got through the bout with heartburn from hell, I managed to come down with a pretty severe cold, complete with sore throat that won't quit, the amazing combo of runny AND stuffy nose, and a mild fever. It's been rather unpleasant to say the least.

I took off work on Wednesday and I was awake for a total of 4 hours from Tuesday night to Thursday morning. While it was fantastic to sleep that long, doing so did not seem to really take care of this thing like I thought it would. Surprisingly, it is Friday afternoon and I am still a mess of snot and lozenges. And even though I managed to go to work Thursday and do a presentation, the rest of the last few days has seemed like a blur of surreality.

I wander my house like an old lady in my red robe and fuzzy slippers, caring my kleenex box around with me from room to room as I grumble about how bad I feel. I watch Court TV. I cover myself in blankets on the couch and zone out to whatever DVD I can get my hands on. It is a pretty useless existence for me. And I am starting to get antsy.

Today is the only other day besides Wednesday that I am able to take off of work. I must get the right amount of healing done by tonight or all is lost. The pressure of it all is starting to stress me out. Gotta get better. Gotta get better. I feel an inner battle going on between my stir crazy brain and my weakened body. I am not sure who the victor will be.

I had to cancel half my Valentine's plans with the man in my life. What is the use in splurging on a fancy dinner when I have not been able to taste anything since Tuesday? We decided to wait and spend the money when my taste buds will actually appreciate what is going on. We are still hitting the movie we planned on seeing (mostly because tickets are already bought and non-refundable. Damn.) so that is nice--at least we can get out of the infected air of our house and stare at a screen other than our own TV. But I have to admit, cancelling the dinner is a bummer.
It makes me feel more sick than missing work. Like I am that sick--that I have to cancel even the FUN stuff in my life. Ugh.

Well I guess I have shared enough about my ailments as of late. I swear, I turned 30 years old and suddenly this old body of mine is beginning to revolt. First I was told I needed a root canal. Then I had a terrible reaction to an antibiotic and my first war with heartburn. Now I am doing all the right things you are supposed to when you're sick and nothing is working to get me over this thing. I feel like people said things get tough after 30. I just did not realize they meant RIGHT after 30. Like 3 months after. Wacky.

No comments: