Thursday, September 28, 2006

Open Letter To Egor the Foreign Guy:

Dear Egor,

I am sorry I wasn't the girl you thought I was. I know the expectant look on my face as I stood waiting outside the IO Theatre last night could easily have been mistaken for the look of a girl waiting to meet you for the first time. But no, I was not the "Cecelia" you thought I was. I was just out there waiting for a friend.

When you came right up to me with that confident, excited look in your eye and asked "Cecelia?" in your thick foreign accent, you seemed so happy, Egor. That is why it was really hard for me to break it to you that alas, I was not. My only regret is that I reacted so poorly. I was quite confused and a bit taken aback at your directness with a stranger. I could only manage to mumble "No, no, I am not her," and step back awkwardly.

It was as if the light in your eyes died right before me, Egor! It broke my heart to see you that way! I know you meant well. I did too. I wanted the madness to stop right then and there. I wasn't her and there was no reason to prolong the torture any longer. I said sorry, too, Egor. But it WASN'T MY FAULT! Still, I felt terrible, wishing I was Cecelia with all my soul to make the pain stop.

And I appreciated your attempts to look good for this mystery girl. Your balding brown hair was combed forward in an effort to hide its eventual depletion, your squinty eyes were shining, and your accent certainly helped. I am sure Cecelia would have been impressed.

And the most charming thing was when you tried so sweetly to save face. You said "Awww, too bad...for me!" as you turned quickly to enter the theatre, your face turning red with embarassment.

Your pitiful attempt at a compliment did not go unnoticed, Egor! You thought I was Cecelia and that she was fairly attractive, and that was a relief. Realizing your mistake, you now had to contend with the fact that she may still be the ugly beast you fear she is! And so you made it clear that I was attractive and you were "missing out" by leaving me to go find your real date. But you went to find her anyway. And that, Egor, is beautiful.

I hope Cecelia finds out you are just as charming and kind hearted in person as you are online. And I wish you luck with all your other dating adventures in America. Welcome, Egor. Welcome.

Sincerely,Leanne, the wrong girl

No comments: