Friday, September 29, 2006

Things I have done today at "work":

Watched the entire season premiere of "the office"
Ate a chocolate donut
Put a sticky note on the clear glass door of a conference room
answered the phone 5 times
read 2 newspapers
Prepared 2 Fed Ex envelopes
Opened the front door for people 8 times
Listened to the radio
Faxed some stuff



I am thrilled for the weekend but not looking forward to having to talk to my old boss about what I have been doing for the last few weeks. He thinks I am looking for another job. I actually have another job.
I would like to work just a day a week or something for him, but I doubt that will fly. So until I talk to him I have no idea where this is all going.

He and I have never gotten along, mostly because I get such an intense high school vibe from him. Like he is the Jock I HATED in school, and I am the Nerd girl he feels the need to pick on when he is having a bad day. Recently it had gotten better, we had been sort of almost pleasant to each other. But now that I have angered the gods within him I don't know if I will get a storm or not. I am just vowing to try to be as honest as possible with everyone I encounter lately, and the same goes for him.

Here is how I imagine Saturday's talk will go:

me: hey can I talk to you?
him: Uh, yeah, just let me go take care of some things first.
(he goes to the host desk, shuffles papers, trudges through the dining room into his office, goes online, shops for his kids, then after I wait at the bar for 20 min and get fed up and go into his office, he turns to me)
him: OK. So what's been going on? I haven't had you scheduled for almost 3 weeks.
me: I know. I wasn't real sure what that was all about either. I had requested Saturdays only but I guess you didn't need me those days?
him: well, yeah, I mean, there are people who are actually working regularly who should have priority over your one day request.
me: Right, right. Well I was working on getting some temp work anyway, so it worked out well that you didn't schedule me.
him: so are you quitting?
me: well, I would like to continue on just working Saturdays if you still need me.
him: No, I don't think that will work. It's silly to keep someone on just one day a week.
me: are you sure? Even during Christmas?
him: Yeah, we'll be fine. You can just quit now.
me: Well you know I would really like to put in a two week notice so that I am doing this right...
him: (laughing) you should have done that 2 weeks ago!
me: Well, I didn't know if my little experiment was going to work. Still don't entirely know what I am doing. But I would like to stay on great terms with this company and not just leave abruptly.
him: I don't even know what abruptly means.
me: I know. That's because you are just a stupid Jock who somehow got into a position of authority even though you don't know what the hell is going on half the time and make really bad decisions.
him: Oh yeah. I forgot.
me: of course you did. And you probably will forget again when I am not working here anymore and reminding you all the time.
him: Well maybe that is a good thing.
me: You know, you are right. I don't want to lower my standards and work for someone like you any longer. I think it is better if I just go. You will give me a good review if I need one, right?
him: Oh yeah sure.
me: great thanks!
(I shake his hand and leave free as a bird out the door. He feels foolish and takes out his feelings of inadequacy on his employees, who cringe in terror under his rath.)

No comments: