Sunday, January 21, 2007

Getting a job is a blissful fright, isn't it?
When you don't have one, you are stuck at home, searching, and praying, and there isn't a whole lot you can do but just put yourself out there and keep hoping. Then when you go to job interviews, you are so desperate you say whatever it takes to get hired, because you are starving and scared and feel like you could do ANYTHING at this point- (yeah, I will be the best fish tank cleaner this side of the Mississippi). Then you end up finally getting one of said jobs, and it is all over. And maybe you got a position that is not what you really wanted but you decided you did in the whole process of hunting. And maybe it is the position that offers the most stability and in your jobless state, that was what was most appealing to you at the time.

But then the fear creeps in...

Am I qualified for this? Am I going to be able to handle this and still have a life outside work? Am I ready for this commitment? How am I going to fit in my hopes and dreams at night and not tell anyone at work? Or do I tell them? Will I ever get to have a day off? Can I prove to my new boss he made the right decision? Can I really pass the test they are making me take? Yikes.

Lots of those types of thoughts circle around the ole nogin. And all I can do is laugh at my worries and try to acknowledge them, then let them go. I will be fine. I can do this. I have a new job! I should be stoked. And I am. I am. I am going to be an assistant to an Insurance Representative. Every little girl's dream, right?

I will blow them away. And still find time to write. And take massage classes. And spend time with Adam. And see my friends. And play guitar.

I start next Monday and I am terrified yet hopeful. I am plunging into the corporate world head first. (Don't let me forget to plug my nose!)

No comments: