Monday, January 29, 2007

My Job...


After a long night of half sleeping and waking up in various states of paranoia thinking I overslept for my first day at my new job, I ventured into said first day relatively awake and ready for anything.

Actually, the day was pretty mellow. I feel like 7.5 hours went by somehow, and I don't really recall doing anything too fancy. I set up the computer. I recorded some professional sounding voicemail messages. I learned some passwords. I read some info online. I took some tutorials on procedures I promptly forgot afterward. I talked about life with some cool people. I learned that not only do I have two random aquaintances in the office, but I also met my upstairs neighbor for the first time while we were in the elevator at the office talking about commutes. That's right, she sleeps above me and I never met her until I started working at the company she works for. So odd.

So for all I know, I did nothing. But somehow some of this nothing will hopefully be retained in my little grey cells so I can apply it later when it becomes "something".

I had a lovely time after work, in the time labeled "Happy Hour," which was indeed happy. Dollar beers and Kobe Beef sliders equal happiness in my book. I put back a few with a coworker friend of mine and her fun boyfriend and his sidekicks. The boys and I even walked home in the lightly falling snow, since we live near each other, and I felt like I had three bodyguards compliments of my dear coworker friend. It was lovely. I was supported and protected all through my first day in a strange new place, in a strange new time in my life. What a blessing.

Now I am recovering from my lack of sleep, and the novelty of waking up early has already worn off, and so I am dreading tomorrow.

But not too much. It will still be exciting and fun to work with such nice people, and some even my age! (Thank God)

I am feeling like I made a good move this time. It is still early, but I usually know after a short time if I am going to enjoy an experience or not. It is sort of like an audition, or a first date. They say you know within the first minute whether it is good.

I will venture into the realm of "Eat those words," and say I know this will be good for me, no matter what comes from it.

If I eat words later, I think I will still come out on top from this one...

No comments: